monday, february 15th, 2016 / Editors
Berlin the capital city of Germany, known for its rough history, abandoned buildings and is now bursting with inspiration, ideas and creativity. Berlin has an incredible music scene and nightlife, is the typical hipster city and is known for being ‘Europe’s greenest city’ too. We put together some hotspots for when you visit Berlin including coffee houses, bars, restaurants, unique stores and night clubs. Yet Berlin has much more to offer and it’s suitable for anybody!
(Photo: Wohnzimmer, Berlin)
#1 Cool coffee bars
Go ahead and enjoy a cup of coffee or fresh mint tea in a coffee house in Berlin, treat yourself with a slice of homemade cake too!
- The Barn – A very pure designed bar for coffee lovers. This café is spacious, cozy and hipster-ish. Their coffee is a treasure, handpicked Arabic coffee beans and only provide fresh and seasonal crop. The baristas truly like to share their knowledge about coffee to its customers. Add a slice of homemade carrot cake to your order, it is worth the try!
Location: Auguststraße 58, 10119 Berlin
- Wohnzimmer – The café that creates your home living room. Perfect for a chat over a coffee during daytime and a couple of drinks in the evening. This place attracts many creative, hipsters, locals but also tourists that takes you back to the communist times with old fashioned armchairs, faux-Renaissance couches, wooden bar…
Location: Lettestraße 6, 10437 Berlin
- Cafe Dritter Raum (Third Room) – An inexpensive café where you can sit with your friends, drink coffee, have brunch, play Super Nintendo or vintage board games. The cafe is cozy and gives the living room feeling and a small garden makes it even cozier in summer.
Location: Hertzbergstraße 14, 12055 Berlin
(Photo: Imren, Berlin)
#2 Street food restaurants
Berlin has a lot to offer when it comes to food. You cannot go to Berlin without having to try out some traditional Germany dishes, such as the typical Turkish döners, schnitzels or a bratwurst.
- Yellow Sunshine – You’re an organic fast food lover, then the ‘Yellow Sunshine’ at Kreuzberg is something for you! Many people reviewed this bio fast food restaurant as one of their favorites in town. Its menu is diverse of good quality food; veggie burgers, schnitzel, home cut fries, fresh salad and is the standard price for berlin.
Location: Wiener Straße 19, 10999 Berlin
- Konnopke’s Imbiss – Do not miss the typical German street cuisine, so go get your paper tray of currywurst. This best chopped sausage exists since 1920 and still uses the family’s secret ketchup recipe sauce. Unfortunately you have to join the waiting line if you want one of these!
– Schönhaser Allee 44b, Prenzlauerberg
– Wiener Straße 11, 10999 Berlin
– Karl-Marx-Straße 75, 12043 Berlin
- Imren – Germany is very popular for its Döner kebab. The quality of the exceptional meat with tasty sauces is the leading döner stand among all Turkish shops in Berlin, therefore grab a bite at Imren döner stand. It is full of flavor and reviewed as damn good meat compare to others.
Location: Boppstraße 4, 10967 Berlin
(Photo: Record Loft, Berlin)
#3 Vinyl Stores
The vinyl records are spinning back into fashion, so now its time to dig out some good old LP records and relive the good old passionate way of listening to music.
- The Record Loft – Seeking for new LP records for your collection and not too pricey either. The Record Loft, the best new second hand record shop in Berlin gives you a relaxed atmosphere for you to dive into a heap of records.
Location: Adalbertstraße 9, 10999 Berlin
- Hard Wax – A record store hidden in the quarter of Kreuzberg, on the third floor and is one of the leading shops for electronic dance music such as Drum & Bass, Techno, House, Reggae and Dupstep. Hard Wax is a distributor for many Berlin based record labels too.
Location: Paul-Lincke-Ufer 44a, 10999 Berlin
- Space Hall – A great place to purchase your vinyl of any genres, it is organized and well stocked with many records! Space Hall is known for rare favorites as many visitors say they found their records there, which they have been searching for the past years
Location: Zossener Str. 33, 10961 Berlin
(Photo: Kleidermarkt Garage, Berlin)
#4 Vintage Fashion Stores
You’re a vintage lover? Berlin is overwhelmed with vintage stores, especially many of them are in the quarter Neukölln, which is close to Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg.
- Sing Blackbird – A fine boutique for your vintage shopping experience, a selection of vintage clothes, shoes, jewellery and accessories for the thrift shoppers. A coffee served as well to give it that little special touch.
Location: Sanderstraße 11, 12047 Berlin
- Kleidermarkt Garage – The vintage clothes store that sells by kilogram and happy hour on Wednesday between 11am and 1pm (30% off). That’s right you are priced by weight. It’s got an underground look, it’s full of vintage treasures and has everything a vintage fan seeks for.
Location: Ahornstraße 2, 10787 Berlin
- Paul’s Boutique – The specialty of this vintage store is definitely the big sneaker amount it has, more than 1000 pairs. Chucks or Adidas, you will find your perfect pair. The store is decorated with action figures, which gives the store a unique look. The atmosphere is a bit cranky but worth a visit.
Location: Oderberger Str. 47, 10435 Berlin
(Photo: Sisyphos, Berlin)
Berlin is the nightlife in Europe. It is mind blowing, long lasting and fun. Definitely a place to be on your bucket list. Berlin has countless clubs and bars you can visit and you sure have heard of all the rumors of Berghain. But we listed other clubs most sees. Tip: No need to look posh for Berlin clubs. Bouncers are tough and be patient, you will stand in line for quite some time too!
- Kulturbrauerei – the former beer brewery has been transformed into a cultural center. It is an enormous building, divided into different areas, with discos, a cinema, occasionally concerts playing, theater and small festivals. Clubs 23, Franzzclub, Kesselhaus and Soda Club are in this building.
Location: Schönhauser Allee 36, 10435 Berlin
- Watergate – This riverside nightclub is for those who want to have a great night out with world’s best DJ’s, usually evenings with electronic beats like House and Drum & Bass. Not only the music highlights your evening but the floor-to-ceiling glass windows gives the beautiful panoramic view overlooking the river Spree
Location: Falckensteinstraße 49, 10997 Berlin
- ://about blank – A club not so touristy but therefore it is hard to get in, since they like to keep this place gritty, it’s aesthetics is dirty and punky. Two dance floors, a garden opened in spring and a small forest with couches and beds, makes this club an all in 1. It’s also a no photo policy. But if you cannot get in, there are two other clubs Sisyphos and Wilde Renate that you can check out.
Location: Markgrafendamm 24, 10245 Berlin
- Sisyphos – A place to lose yourself for hours and it was a former dog cookie factory. This two-dance floor club is more like a festival than an actual club and gives you the unique party experience. You can rest outside with unique stuff including a bonfire, tree house, abandoned vehicles and eat pizza or hotdogs.
Location: Hauptstraße 15, 10317 Berlin
- Salon zur wilden Renate – This club is like a labyrinth of several floors, rooms, dark halls, bars and great sound system-playing electronic music. The feeling of having an illegal rave at your grandmas house, so go wild while partying!
Location: Alt-Stralau 70, 10245 Berlin
You are ready to go to a festival in or near Berlin, too? The Lollapalooza Berlin festival takes place 10-11 September. Many great acts already announced, including Kings Of Leon, Radiohead, Paul Kalkbrenner, The Chainsmokers, Major Lazer, Bilderbuch and more to be found here. Or MELT! Festival which is only an hour and half away from Berlin in Gräfenhainichen and takes place in mid July with great acts like Disclosure, Ben Klock, Jamie Woon and more here.